The hidden gem of Villa Clara Province
Remedios is a beautiful quiet little colonial town and absolutely worth a visit
Close to Santa Clara is the municipality of Remedios, eighth village founded by the Spanish in 1578. In this place, declared a National Monument genuine colonial works that contain relics such as the Parroquia Mayor, the Buen Viaje church, the House of Las Arcadas, that of the Alférez Real and the birthplace of Alejandro García Caturla, today the Museum of Music. As part of the most ancient cultural traditions of the region, the world famous Parrandas de Remedio (Revels of the city of Remedios) stand out a yearly event every December 24.
The city of Remedios was one of the first villages founded by Spanish colonizers in the XVI century. Its foundation took place on May 3, 1513, but in the beginning it was a private property of Vasco Porcallo de Figueroa, a Spanish conqueror Captain and a man with enough influence in court and among the main representatives of the monorchy in America, to give himself the prerogative to make of that small village and the surrounding areas, his private lands, with no government, untill a few years later when its first district council was formed, becoming the eighth Cuban village from then on, in spite of being established before some the seven others.
Because of illegal smugglers and other pirates from the sea locals move more inland and thats where Santa Clara was founded. Other stories tell a priest, José Gonzalez, told the people if when they would stay in Remedios they would sink into Satan's world since, he said, this was located under the caves of Boceron A La Cabaña.
During the second half of the 18th century the economy increased because of the sugar industry and the first trains came into this area.
War of independence
The outbreak of the war of 1868 in the jurisdiction Remedios occurred on 14 February 1869, led by Carlos Roloff and Salome Hernandez, seconded by young independence as Francisco Carrillo, Pedro Díaz Molina, Jesus Crespo, Serafin Garcia, among others. The war of 1868 in Remedios, was among the Oligarqiua Criolla are essentially counter to see their interests affected class booming sugar for this date. Derived from this is that the Spanish government Remedios became an important military garrison. Activation and Fire Volunteer Corps paramilitary force was decisive as supporting fundamentalism. From that date the title of city data in 1874, as political prerogative for their loyalty to the crown. This led to were written beautiful pages of heroism and bravery as commander of Jesus Crespo Moreno, prominent in making military forts (such as Tetouan).
The Liberty Statue of Remedios
The Statue of Liberty is considered the most expensive gift in history. It was donated in 1886 by the French people to the American one, as an homage to the centenary of the United States independency.
Next to José Martí Park is the Monument to the Martyrs of San Juan de los Remedios, where since 1906 straightens upright the unique replica in Cuba of Lady Liberty, as it’s also known the emblematic New Yorker statue. The copy, constructed in marble from the quarry of Carrara, in Italy, was made by the sculptor Carlos Nicoly Manfredy.
Ponche de la Parroquia
Local Remedios Cocktail
To prepare the local cocktail of Remedios you need to mix:
- Orange leaves
- Caña santa
Legends of Remedios
Iglesia de la Virgin del Buen Viaje ... the legend
The legend says that in a gloomy rainy day in October 1600 about what the sailors called the Cordonaso San Francisco, a fisherman came remedying fishing with two friends early in the morning in a fragile vessel to the Tesic Bay, a place outside town in 1832. Offshore fishermen were caught in a storm. They were preparing to return in a hurry when they spotted amid the waves, drifting, a wooden box five feet long which powerfully struck, to the point that despite the urgency decided to pick it up, not without little effort and danger of sinking into the dark waters.
Imagine the surprise when they opened it and found a beautiful image of the Virgin Mary carved in wood.
"We have done a good trip, good trip," "yes good trip," repeated the other two.
They agreed to name it since then Buenviaje
The fishermen arrived Remedios town through nowadays Calle Rio which at that days was a river. At the corner lived a black man and the fishermen decided to give the virgen to this man. The next day the priest of town came at the blac mans house and told him the virgen belongs to the church and moved the wooden carved statue to Iglesia Mayor.
When at the next morning the priest looked at the spot where he placed the statue it was gone ... he surprisingly found it at the black man's house, the virgin returned by herself to the house the fishermen left her in first place.
They decided to build a second church in this place where ones was the black mans house, because the people said, The Virgen had choosen her own spot in town to live. Since that time Remedios is the only town in Cuba who has two churches at the same Plaza.
Remedios is a town of many legends.
In the middle of town, at one of the corners of Plaza Central, six images of the Remedios legends are shown.
Below two of these images and their legend
Casa El Paloma
Some centuries Augusto de Fisné Miranda form France started a chocolat store (chocolateria) in Remedios. He married a beautiful Cuban girl from Remedios who could play the piano very well and Augusto wanted her to keep on playing all the time he was around the house. One day the Cubana died from suffering malaria and Augusto a few months after because of grief missing the music. The house became a ruïn and since that time two white doves are always in the house and some times you can still hear the piano playing.
La Leyenda de El Guise
A few kilometers from Remedios town was a pond named La Bajada, in this pond lived a kind of troll named El Guise who, at night time when it was dark, ate all plants of the farmers in that area. The farmers went to the priest and asked him to find a solution to kill El Guise. The priest searched in his papers and found a writing which explained the way to do this. They had to finf 7 men named Juan who had to be spotless in heart and soul and never have had sex, holy water, oxes and a chart, a cross, chains, ropes and food to get El Guise out of the pond.
They succeed and brought El Guise in chains to the priest, the only thing left to kill El Guise was the priest has to say a holy spell. When this happened El Guise became very angry and released itself from the chains, run away back into the pond and nobody ever saw him again.
©Cuba-Junky | KvK / CC The Hague The Netherlands: 27315058